Signs of Labor

After you reach 36 weeks, is a good idea to know how to recognize signs of labor.

There are 6 preliminary signs of labor:

1) Braxton-Hicks contractions

2) Weight stabilization (2 weeks before labor)

3) A burst of energy that lasts 48 hours (2 weeks before labor)

4) The baby drops (between 36 and 38 weeks)

5) Increased vaginal discharge (if it happens before 36 weeks, the baby is coming early)

6) The night before labor you might get diarrhea.

And 3 signs of actual labor (yes you are in labor!):

1) You lose the mucus plug (google it to see what it could look like, not pretty). Do nothing yet, but check for any one (or both) of the next two signs.

2) Your water breaks. Note the time it broke and call the doctor, because you will need to have the baby within 24 hours. If the color of the water is clear, everything is ok. If the color is green, try to feel the baby: if the baby is moving everything is fine, but try to get to the hospital soon, just in case.

3) Contractions. Time your contractions from the beginning of one to the beginning of the next one. They say you should wait until your contractions are 5 minutes apart for an hour before calling the doctor, 

I say do as your gut (literally) tells you to do. I went to the hospital one hour after my water broke, even if my contractions had barely begun, and I did wait 16 hours before the baby was born, but I just couldn’t sit at home like nothing was happening. 

And I felt better knowing that I was already at the hospital and that the risk of having the baby in the car on the way there was behind me. I really didn’t want to have the baby in the car!

So lots of luck to you, soon your baby will be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment