Picking My Baby’s Name

There must be no more difficult task than the one of naming your child!

I’m in my 6th month, and you would think I’ve had enough time to come up with something… and sure I have: plenty of names, but never a clear winner.

I envy people that know in advance what they will name their kids, and they have both a boy’s name and a girl’s name! Some people already have these names when they’re only teenagers!

I waited until after my amniocentesis to even begin thinking about a name: if I knew the sex I only had to pick between 50,000 names instead of 100,000!

So now that I know it’s a girl you would imagine I already have something, but I still don’t. Or maybe I do, but I get cold feet about it, as I have a hard time committing to it: we have decided to name her Kaitlin Isabella.

Kaitlin to honor her father’s Irish roots, and Isabella to have some of her Italian mommy too. If I could, I would have given her an Italian first name, unfortunately nothing Italian is going sound nice with her Irish last name.

But even now, I am not 100% sure this is going to be her name.

My boyfriend wants to “hurry up and pick a name already”, while I feel I still have more than 3 months ahead of me, so why rush into it?

He feels like I’ll drag this until the delivery day, and he promised me that if that’s what’s going to happen, he will give the baby the name of the nurse assisting me. Yeah right, like that’s going to happen!

He doesn’t understand the implications of the wrong name. What if she doesn’t like it? What if she has a hard time spelling it? What if everyone else finds it hard to spell?

I liked my friend’s suggestion: give her a practical first name so that she can be a bank president, and a fanciful middle name so that she can be a movie star!

Kaitlin is practical enough, and maybe Isabella is too. 

I also hope she is not one of many Kaitlin running around in her classroom: I was one of three in my elementary school years, and I was never too thrilled about it.

Another thing that I have to worry about is her initials! 

Not only picking the right name is hard enough, but after I pick any name I have to make sure the initials are not spelling some weird word. I don’t know if it’s the same with most letters, but I can tell you that having a last name that starts with D gives you tons of undesirable words:

MAD - SAD - BAD - OCD - STD - LSD - ADD. Not to mention the fact that I can’t name her any name that starts with a V!

So before I drive myself crazier, I think that picking this name (already!) will help me move on to tackle the many other tasks remaining before she gets here.

I mean I’ve already gone through this whole bookthis whole website and posted a question on this baby names blog

I am not sure what else is left for me to do other than make my stupid mind up already!

No comments:

Post a Comment